Saturday, January 05, 2008

Saturday Update

I can't believe she slept until 8:00 this morning! After not sleeping for 3 weeks, just having one night of good sleep (cut in half by the nebulizer treatment but still good) made me feel like a new person!

I have some tips for those waiting for their baby!

1. Ok, I didn't believe people when they said not to buy clothes. I thought that when I bought stuff at yard sales for $1 that it wouldn't matter if it didn't fit. So the kiddo had hundreds of outfits waiting for her. Out of the 30 in her size for this season, maybe 6 fit. Since coming home, Natalie has grown TWO INCHES. She is a 6 month in width but a 12 month in length. So don't buy clothes. Don't ask for anything more high tech than sleepers for your shower. I am going to have a huge yardsale this spring!

2. Don't sign up for formula samples until 2-3 months before your referral. I did it way too early and they expired.

3. Don't stock up on diapers, you won't know what will fit your baby's tushie best. So far Rite Aid's generic brand fits her best. I got two free packs when I transferred a prescription there. Do stock up on unscented wipes. Do stock up on unscented baby wash. I had to return all her scented things, they made her turn bright red!

4. Do buy baby toys at yard sales and scrub them down. She is going to beat them up and abuse them.

5. Buy or register for a portable booster seat. I keep mine in the car (thanks Michelle!). Just because a restaurant has a high chair, it doesn't mean your baby fits in it right.

6. Buy 20 bibs. No joke, the Carters ones that come 3/4 a pack that are at Ross for $3.99 are wonderful. The baby cruds up 5-6 a day.

7. Borrow a carrier, an adapter set and flight vest for the trip from another adoptive family. These are one use items. My flight vest was used but these three items were $50.

For the trip...
1. Don't buy anything until you get to Guangzhou. Prices were 10% of what they were in Beijing. Buy your baby outfits at the store that is brown and on the corner. Walk out of the Victory annex and take a left. You will come to the first road (where you turn left to go to Starbucks) and cross the street. This store had the silkie outfits for $5. They had the fancy two toned outfits there for less than everyone else's one color ones. I had a hard time finding sqeaky shoes I liked. When you see them, grab them. Jade was dirt cheap, don't spend $500 on a bangle at the factory. Their bead bracelets were $20 at the factory, I got a 30 inch long necklace for $12 at Jordans.

2. I stayed at the Victory and loved it. The bed was great. The bathroom was small but my room was huge. I had a business suite with a huge bed and separate living room. I also had a computer in my room :)

3. When you think about snacks, don't forget to bring real food. I wish I had brought freeze dried camping food. When they awful hotel food makes you sick over and over, a real meal would of been really nice.

4. When in China, eat Chinese food. I only had one good "western" meal the whole trip. The Chinese food in Beijing was really good.

5. If your guide wants to take you to someone's house for a meal as a cultural thing, go but don't eat a lot. That is what set off my sickness for the entire trip.

Ok that is it for now, I am working on my trip pictures and will post soon :)

2 comments:

OziMum said...

GREAT tips!

We're going to China on holiday in April, I really really wanted to stay at the Victory in GZ - but they've got a Commerce Fair or something on in GZ and accomm. is 3 times dearer! We're going to stay in Shenzhen instead... really sad I don't get to experience the Victory - it looked great on their website!

Excellent tips! Thanks so much (albiet a bit late on the "don't buy clothes" advice... I already have oodles!)

Shawnstribe said...

Kim
i so agree with your tips.
I bought so much stuff for Aila that i never will use, it helped with easing the long wait, but the money would have been better spent ; )
im so glad Natalie is sleeping, and i hope you are more rested.
Cant wait for your photos
love
Shawn(RQ)