Thursday, January 17, 2008

Mommy lesson to pass along

Ok, if you haven't guessed already I'm sort of winging it here. Books prepare you for pretty much nothing - a real baby is way different.

So I've been having clothing issues with her, too small, too short. Julie (Tess' mom) suggested to go through and match up by how big the item was and not worry about what size was printed on the tag. Brilliant huh? Why didn't I think of that? Using a Carters 12 month sleeper as a guide I have discovered:

Gymboree clothes run big - size 6-12 is the match up. Size 12-18 month isn't much longer but much wider.

Gap - runs really small. 18-24 month is the same as Carters 12 month.

Target - runs really small. Size 24 is equivalent.

Old Navy - 6-12 month is a little smaller. And a little shorter.

Okie Dokie (JC Pennys) runs small too. 18 months matches up width and length but the sleeves are longer.

Osh Kosh - runs short, 18 months in it is the same as Carters 12 month. 18 month is also wide but you suck it up for the length.

I hope this helps someone out there. I found 5 more outfits with "wrong" sizes on them that scooter will be wearing. I also found a surprise outfit, I have an adorable corduroy bunny outfit from Gymboree (yards sale $2 brand new). Well the little shirt was tucked into the overalls and it said 18-24 so it was in that section of her closet. When comparing everything, I discovered the overalls were 9-12 months! I almost missed out on a super cute outfit.

Sooooooooo if you are buying tons of stuff, find a style sleeper you like and use it as a gauge on size, not what the tag says. Be sure to organize it BEFORE the baby comes, it will be so much easier :)

2 comments:

Special K said...

Hmmmm... I never even considered that. Thanks for the advice. Cuz I was going to organize everything by size and put the big stuff away. Guess I need to figure out a different way to do that.

OziMum said...

Wow! Great advice! Yes... I already have 2 children... you'd think I'd know a thing or two by now, but I'm still learning! Yikes!!!

I've got mostly Gymboree gear for Mini. Now i'm worried it'll all be too big!!! Think I'll just buy stuff in China?!!