Friday, January 18, 2008

2008 Savings

I know lately I've been talking a lot about money. I am not sure why, but it has been something that has been running through my mind a lot lately. I don't know if I am just circling my wagons (panicking) or what.

Or it might just be that it's one of my favorite things to think about. After Natalie of course! And the cats, love them too. And the beach. And cruises.....

Ok back on subject now. I have a goal for 2008. I want to save 50% of my tax home pay. This wouldn't be that hard (I don't have a lot of bills) except for Natalie's added expenses.

This challenge (it's more fun to think of it that way) is in the back of my mind constantly it seems. Things like cloth diapers are good for the world and good for the wallet (I am a tree hugger at heart), a savings of $600 for a year. Natalie's formula isn't really that expensive now (I'll admit it, she is drinking the Parent Choice stuff with no ill effects). I quickly figured that we were going to eat 60 boxes of cheerios a year if we both had them for breakfast every morning (I'm a creature of habit). So going generic saves $85. I switched to a store brand of milk with a savings of $70 a year. One HUGE thing, I have stopped drinking diet coke. At the savings of $700 a year. Yup, SEVEN HUNDRED dollars a year. Drinking 2 a day at work for 5 days times 47 weeks is $470 alone. Add in all the cans I drank at home and it's BIG bucks. So I'm not drinking diet crack in a can anymore.

My clothing allowance is being cut too, by $300 this year (chant with me, I don't NEED it!). I cut the Disney trip in Sept at the savings of $1500. I cut out a spring cruise at the cost of $1000 for the 2 of us. For me that is a HUGE deal, I love my ocean. But we'll do a bargain Myrtle Beach week (eat in the room, drive there, no shows and just hang out for one week is about $350). We do have the the big cruise excursion at the end of the year, we won't talk about how much that costs!

So let's do the math...
$600 Cloth Diapers
$85 Cheerios
$70 Milk
$700 Diet Coke
$300 Clothing
$1500 Disney
$650 (difference between cruise and Myrtle Beach)
---------------------------
$3905 and I'm just starting. The plan isn't to live like a hermit but just to cool it for 2008. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Stephe said...

Hey, you know I LOVE your blog and Natalie is just too cute!

I love when you talk about finances! Love it! Love it!

Okay, so you say you spend $700 on diet coke a year! Well, you can stick to your addiction (and mine) and cut your yearly total to $325. That's more than 50%. Go to 711 and purchase an Extreme Gulp Insulated Jug @ 54 ounces. Refills are 89¢. This mugs are obnoxious but keep my diet soda carbonated and iced for more than 6hours. It's worth a try if you don't want to go cold turkey! : )

OziMum said...

You are a legend!

I totally hear you on the softdrink, front. I'm not even going to estimate what we spend a year on softdrink. Nasty. And take away. We've been wicked lazy this last year, and have take away about 3 times a week... ooo that's scary too!!! (note: not all greasy rubbish... chinese or vietnamese are often on the menu!!)

Kim said...

I've not enjoyed a diet coke since I was sick in China. When you puke it in a flower pot, well that sort of sours it for you lol I've not had a "drink" since Dec 22nd! :)