Monday, February 11, 2008

Meal Plan Monday Week of Feb 11, 2008



I read this often on other blogs, posted by women much more organized than me.

So I start thinking, why can't I spend a few minutes planning out our meals for the week. I'd then be able to create a shopping list (gasp! I never have a list lol) and buy JUST what I need for the week. Plus any stockpiling I need. What I've noticed tho, I don't buy a lot of the things other people stockpile so I don't keep a lot of food around comparatively. Plus having a plan for meals will help me when I just stare into the fridge wondering what on earth I am going to make.

Since I am still home on adoption leave, let's plan it out by meal..
* I am editing this as I go so I'll have an accurate listing of what was successful and what wasn't! *
Monday
B - Oatmeal and apples (pantry)
L - peanut butter and banana sandwiches (pantry)
D - Chinese - Dad's treat

Tuesday
B - Cheerios, milk, bananas oranges (pantry & fridge)
L - Hamburger and cole slaw (fridge)
D - Salmon, rice and a veggie steamer Hamburger helper Stroganoff with ground beef and peas(freezer and pantry)

Wednesday
B - Oatmeal and apples (pantry)
L - peanut butter and banana sandwiches (pantry) cabbage and ham
D - Hamburger helper Stroganoff with ground beef and peas (buy frozen peas) Salmon patties, rice and a veggie steamer

Thursday
B - muffins sweet potato waffles
L - bean burritos (buy tortillas, salsa and cheese)
D - Talipia and peas (freezer, buy veggies)

Friday
B - Oatmeal and apples (pantry)
L - leftover stroganoff and peas
D - 10 bean soup Baked chicken, green beans and mashed potatoes

Saturday
B - french toast (pantry)
L - leftover bean burritos
D - leftover 10 bean soup chicken tacos

Sunday
B - peanut butter and jelly toast (pantry, buy preserves)
L - Salmon and green beans (freezer and buy green beans) chicken stir fry
D - small batch of chicken spaghetti

I've obviously bought a chicken that I want to use this week :) I've already browned and frozen the ground beef I was going to use so it won't go to waste. I also browsed the net to find recipes to fancy up what I was going to make.

Snacks include grapes, popcorn, crackers, grapefruit, oranges, dry cereal and cookies.

Here is something to keep in mind when reading my plan. One, I am not a picky eater, I could eat peanut butter everyday. Two, neither is the baby. Three, the baby eats an adult sized portion of food at most sittings. Four, I am going to try very hard to just cook what we'll eat, I hate throwing out food.

Oh and Five, the baby goes to town on grapefruit, funny huh? I am also trying to clear out the pantry and freezer.

I spent $33 at the grocery store planning out the meals for this week and some for next week. I got...
an 8 pound spiral sliced ham
5 pound bag of potatoes
2 pounds of grapes
12 cans of diced tomatoes (15 cents each with coupon)
tortillas
flour
shredded cheese
salsa
blackberry preserves
3 pounds of various frozen veggies
I am just missing milk which I buy at a different store and I might need 2-3 more bananas this week. When I came home I found that Dad had given me an 18 pound bag of grapefruit that was $6 at Kmart. What a deal!

1 comment:

kristie said...

i plan our meals every week before going to the grocery store. i really feel like it helps me to not buy stuff we don't need and to use what we have. i do stockpile if there is something on sale for a good price and i have a coupon. it's not hard once you get the hang of it! i also plan our meals around what's on sale.