Friday, October 23, 2009

See you on Tuesday

My Mom is taking me to the beach for three days for my birthday to cheer me up. I'll be back Tuesday.

I posted this on my SAC group and without going into too many details would you...

One - stay in the larger house in the expensive neighborhood with lots of space (about 800 more SF than you use), adopt DD2 with some financial finagling and not have a savings account.

Two - move back to the small house in the working family neighborhood with less space (need about 200 SF more), adopt DD2 with cash and have a rather large savings account.

Three - I guess three would be to sell both and buy a third house. This option just makes me tired.

Which is more important to you? Location and size or financial freedom? I'm not 100% either way yet, I'd love to hear what you all think.

(schools are comparable, commute is comparable, yard at the little house is larger, yard at the bigger house is much prettier)

(Dad died in the larger house in his bedroom, that is a visual I am having a hard time shaking. Dad redid a lot of stuff in the little house, every time I turn around I'll be reminded of something he fixed for me.)

4 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

I struggle with the same question. I will eventually move from this house. This area is not where I want to raise my kids. If both areas are a fine place to raise kids long term, I'd move to the smaller house.

Have fun at the beach.

Tiffany

Special K said...

In my opinion, definitely not option #1.

As a single with only my income, I always worry about the "what if's" when it comes to money. I would rather have a cushion for peace of mind than live paycheck to paycheck so to speak.

#2 or #3 sound like the better choices. If being in the smaller house is too much emotionally, then sell and buy something else. But there may come a time (when you work further through your grief and feel like you're stronger) when being surrounded by those memories might bring you comfort.

It's a lot to think about. Have fun on your beach weekend and try to clear your head. :)

Abby's Mom said...

I say the smaller house and maybe add on too it?

Enjoy your trip. The beach is always therapeutic for me.

Bebe said...

Smaller house; financial freedom and the ability to take DD#2 to Disney and vacation is more important than the space...